Monday 20 October 2014

Around The World Blog Hop

A couple of weeks ago I was invited to take part in the Around The World Blog Hop by Frances, whose blog is a recent discovery for me, and after a little deliberation I agreed to have a go! It'll probably be the most boring post as there are much more interesting, prolific stitchers than me out there but I will give it a go!

1. What am I working on?

Well anyone who has read my blog since the beginning will know that I stitch on several things over a week. This way I don't get bored stitching on tne same thing and it means I can have a bigger design and some smaller ones to stitch on.  At the moment I'm stitching on the Cottage Garden Samplings My Garden Journal series, which I absolutely love,   the Country Cottage Needleworks Frosty Forest series, Tralala Tricotine, Barbara Ana Designs Wicked Since, HAED QS Spirit of Winter Robin, Silver Creek Samplers Garden Bliss and Christmas ornaments. 

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I'm not really sure that it does differ from others. Not sure how to answer this one lol!

3. Why do I create what I do?

It's funny because I was never any good at any form of needlework at school. I worked with a lady who did cross stitch and she showed me magazines she had bought. I just loved the look of it and the  thought of seeing something grow as I stitched really appealed to me. So off I went to the shop nearby and I bought myself a kit that was on sale. I nearly died when I got home and opened it up to see this blank piece of aida, a chart and a bundle of threads!  However I started and here I am 23 years later still stitching. My tastes have changed over the years but I still love spending an evening with needle, thread and fabric in hand creating something I can keep or give as a gift. It has helped me through bereavement,  depression and all the things life throws at us from time to time.  It makes me happy, keeps me sane, stops my mind going into overdrive when I'm feeling low and has also brought some great friends into my life who I would never have met without stitching. Plus I feel like I am good at something ( maybe nkt the finishing as I do struggle with that! ) which for someone with very little confidence is a wonderful thing!

4. How does my creating process work?

As we are allowed to interpret / make changes to these questions I'm going to make this one how do I choose what I buy to stitch?! Obviously I have certain designers that are my favourites but there are still some designs that I maybe don't like  by them. If you know me well you'll know I love sheep, Winter and snowmen so a design with any of those themes is usually a big hit with me but there are still designs with those themes that I just don't like. Of course there may be a design that just calls to me or is an instant hit as soon as I see it. I do tend to make a wish list with designs that I love and if they are still there a few months later then I know that they are a must buy for me. I have made mistakes too often buying something straight away then regretting it later and, of course,  Stitch From Stash has been great for making me think very carefully about what I add to my stash!

I hope you have enjoyed reading my answers and that it all makes sense!

Of course the idea of this hop is to nominate others to take part so please look out for Justine's Around The World Blog Hop on the 27th October! Justine has a lovely blog and stitches a wonderful array of pieces.

I'll be back later in the week with some WIPs,  maybe a finish and my Shepherd's Bush Rosy Egg that I stitched God only knows when and finally got made up! I did it a couple of weeks ago but keep forgetting to take a photo!

Also please pop along to my Facebook friend Nicole's blog which she is resurrecting.  She is currently having a contest :).

Until next time.

With much love.

Sally xxx

12 comments:

gracie said...

I am enjoying the Blog Around the World Hop...learning more about you!

Maggee said...

HI Fellow Blog Hopper! Great post! I have enjoyed seeing your progress on the WIPs and am now wondering which one is a finish!! Hugs!

Vickie said...

I never find you boring Sally. Always a joy to read a post from you. =)

butterfly said...

Love learning more about you Sally, I can see myself in you so much .
Enjoy your day hugs.

Frances said...

Wonderful post--very interesting! So glad you wanted to participate!!

Barb said...

Nice post. I like reading these Around the World Blog Hops. I had not heard of it until today. It tells a little bit about the person.

Christine said...

And what was that first kit Sally? Do you still have it?

Brigitte said...

Today I have been reading a couple of the blog hop posts from yesterday, and everyone was interesting. It was nice to see how you interpreted the questions that we were supposed to answer.

Annette-California said...

Wonderful learning more about you. I've been enjoying the blog hop. love Annette

Heather said...

I always admire how you work on different projects. I am contemplating doing something similar. Just trying to figure out how it will work for me.

Nicole A said...

Thanks, Sally! :)

Kate said...

Lovely read Sally